Friday, September 3, 2010

Well this is interesting!

   I've been selling some plants and nursery supplies online, so I decided to plant a few seeds from one of my variegated spider plants to see what would come up & all was what's to be expected at first - the same old green baby spider plants. I had been hoping for some more variegated plants or for at least something because spider plants can be kind of (Well? How do I say this without offending spider plant lovers??)boring(!) when you've been growing them for a while and they all look the same...
   Well, it looks like I got what I wanted because about a week ago I went to check on all of my plants and seedlings as I do every morning & take a gander (above) at what I found... 
   Yup! Looks like an ALL yellow spider plant to me. What do you think? So I Googled "yellow spider plant" to see if this is something normal that I had just never heard of before and NOTHING(!) came up. Nope, not even one measly, little reference to yellow spider plants. What? I know! It actually looks almost white when the sun hits it a certain way. So...I don't know what's going to happen but it's been a week now and the color hasn't changed yet and, best of all, it has grown. I have noticed that the green seedlings are growing about twice as fast, which is to be expected because they produce more chlorophyll & because of that I'm amazed that the little white/yellow spider plant has even survived this long. So now what? Well, I would love to (of course) grow this plant into an adult and make many more plants like it to share with the world, but there are so many, as of yet, unanswered questions. Will it grow fast enough? Will it be long and thin? Will it be short and stubby? Will it eventually variegate itself? Will it even survive? Take a look below (in the middle pot with its "twin" sibling) at the the little guy or gal. Go little yellow spider plant! Go! And, erm - GROW!

Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment